IDNS Membership Categories & Annual Fees
There are various categories of IDNS membership available and the criteria is presented fully in the Interior Designer’s Regulations. All members pay an annual membership dues which is set by the Association. It is mandatory for Registered, Non-Resident Registered and Inactive members to have the minimum levels of Commercial General Liability and Errors and Omissions insurance in accordance with the Interior Designer’s Regulations.
Only Registered members are issued a professional stamp and may use the designation “Registered Member of the Association of Interior Designers of Nova Scotia” or the letters “IDNS”.
MEMBERSHIP CATEGORIES & ANNUAL FEES
* Allied Member : $220.00 + HST $33.00 = 253.00
* Inactive Member : $175.00 + HST $26.25 = $201.25
* Intern Member : $220.00 + HST $33.00 = $253.00
* Non-Resident Registered Member : $480 + HST $72 = $552.00
* Registered Member : $480 + HST $72 = $552.00
* Retired Member : $25.00 + HST $3.75 = $28.75
* Student : $25.00 + HST $3.75 = $28.75
PRO RATA FEES
(Allied, Inactive, Retired & Student categories do not apply)
IDNS offer a pro-rata fee structure for Registered, Non-Resident & Intern memberships only, whereupon the annual fee is calculated accordingly from the month an application has been approved. Percentage breakdown of how the pro rata fees are calculated are as follows – January to March : 100%; April to June : 75%; July to September : 50%; October to December : 25%.
Thereafter, all annual membership fees are renewed annually by 5th January each year.
All fees for all categories are non-refundable. If a member wishes to terminate membership, no refund will be provided.
If a member changes category within six months of the billable date, a credit of 50% of their paid portion of the fee will be applied to the new category fee, less a $50 processing fee.
A $50 administration fee will be assessed for any cheque returned due to non-sufficient funds.
IDNS is a non-profit organisation; to assist with bank charges, a 3% fee will be charged in addition to any membership fee paid by a credit card or directly from a bank account.
PROFESSIONAL LIABILITY INSURANCE
The above membership fees do not include the cost of liability insurance. Professional Liability Insurance is mandatory for all Registered members. Some exceptions do apply. Policyholder members will be receiving insurance renewal forms separately. Such forms will require immediate response.
It is the obligation of each member to meet the requirements of their membership classification outlined in the Association of Interior Designers of Nova Scotia By-Laws, adopted 13th January, 2005; Regulations, NS Reg. 2004-405 dated 20th October, 2004 and the Interior Designers Act, SNS 2003c.6 as amended by Justice Administration Amendment (2004) Act, ANS2004c.6s. 11-13 proclaimed in force on 20th October, 2004.
AN OUTLINED CRITERIA FOR EACH CATEGORY:
The following is a summary of the criteria for each membership category. A detailed list of the criteria can be found in the Interior Designer’s Regulations.
To become an Allied member you must:
* have successfully completed the academic qualifications for Intern membership;
* not be actively engaged in the practice of interior design;
* be engaged in a full or part time teaching and/or directing interior design programs at post-secondary schools, colleges or universities, or is engaged in the manufacturing or supply of furnishings, materials or services used in the practice of interior design.
To become an Inactive member you must:
* currently not actively be engaged in the profession of interior design;
* be in good standing with respect to the payment of membership fees and professional liability insurance;
* have a permanent or usual resident of the province of Nova Scotia, (or a temporary resident outside the province of Nova Scotia for a maximum period of five years).
To become an Intern member you must:
* be actively engaged in the profession of interior design, working in the practice under the supervision of an IDNS Registered member or a Registered member of the NSAA;
* have successfully completed a minimum three year course in Interior Design at an institute accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation;
* be in the process of writing and successfully completing all sections of the NCIDQ qualification examination unless you have not yet accumulated the total seven year combined practical experience and education;
* be a permanent or usual resident of the province of Nova Scotia.
To become a Non-Resident Registered member you must:
* be actively engaged in the profession of interior design;
* have a Registered membership or equal classification with his or her local provincial or state interior design association or meet or exceed the requirements for Registered membership in the Association;
* be a permanent or usual resident outside of the province of Nova Scotia.
To become a Registered member you must:
* be actively engaged in the profession of interior design (defined as 1,000 hours in the past consecutive five years or 500 hours in the immediate past year);
* have successfully completed the academic qualifications as outlined for Intern membership;
* have an accumulation of seven years of education and active engagement in practical interior design experience;
* have passed the NCIDQ qualification examination;
* be a permanent or usual resident of the province of Nova Scotia, (or a temporary resident outside the province of Nova Scotia for a maximum period of five years.).
To become a Retired member you must:
* have been formerly a Registered, Inactive or Allied member for a minimum of five consecutive years;
* no longer engage in the practice of interior design or in an activity which qualifies for Allied membership.
To become a Student member you must:
* be enrolled at a university or college offering a minimum three year full-time degree or diploma course in interior design that is accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation.